100 Women Who Care About Long Island, FAQ
100 Women Who Care about Long Island launched in 2013.
To be considered at a meeting, the charitable organization must be located in, and serve, Nassau and/or Suffolk Counties. It must be a non-profit organization recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3).
- The names of all pre-qualified local non-profit organizations are placed into a box for a random drawing. Three organizations will be selected, blind, from the box of nominees.
- The members who nominated each organization will be asked to come up and give a casual five-minute presentation as to why this organization should receive the donation, followed by a five-minute question and answer period. After presentations are made on behalf of the three organizations, all members present vote for the organization they would like to support. The organization with the most votes receives the donation from that meeting. The selected organization is not eligible for consideration again for 12 months after receiving a donation from the group. The other two organizations may be submitted again for consideration beginning with the next meeting.
Members in attendance at a meeting may vote for the organization to receive the group’s donation. If you cannot attend, you are still responsible for making your donation online. The name of the selected charity will be posted on our HOME page the morning following each meeting.
- The goal of the 100 Women Who Care organizations is to make a large donation on behalf of the entire group. We want to be able to support this endeavor and give up to, or even more than, $10,000 dollars at a time to make a large impact in our community, with each member’s donation being part of the larger donation. Additionally, non-profits receiving the donation must agree not to add the names and addresses of the 100 Women Who Care member donors to their mail and telephone solicitation lists.
Meetings are intended to be very short, generally lasting no longer than 60 minutes. We will be present at least 30 minutes earlier for early registration of new members, and answer questions about the organization. Immediately following the meeting, we invite all members to join us at the bar at Jewel Restaurant for socializing and networking. Complimentary hors d’oeuvres are provided and a cash bar is available.
- Yes, your donation for any of our qualified 501(c)(3) organizations is tax deductible. A donation receipt for tax purposes will be automatically e-mailed to you immediately upon completion of your online donation.
- Absolutely! Two individuals may sign a Team Registration and Commitment Form, and share the $100 quarterly donation. A Team is given ONE vote to cast at each meeting for the charity they wish to support.
- Please do! However, they will have to complete a membership application prior to voting in order to participate in the voting process at that meeting.
- One of the benefits of becoming a member of 100 Women Who Care about Long Island is that we encourage our members to provide us with details on their charity’s upcoming events and fundraisers. We announce upcoming events at our meetings, and post information about them on our facebook page.